Dear Grade 11/12 Students,
I am excited to share with you details of registering for the Coast to Coast March of the Living Mission May 1- 16, 2016 (subject to changes). This mission which we have discussed in detail is open to ALL Temple Sholom Grade 11 & 12 students. The deadline for registration is October 23, 2015.
Scholarships up to 100% of the total cost of the trip $5,895 USD are available for ALL students who have accumulated 36 points in our Temple Teens Program. If you do not know your current points total please contact Rabbi Moskovitz or Stephanie Mrakovich.
If you would like to participate in the March of the Living Mission here is what you need to do:
- Read the information below.
- Register online at www.marchoftheliving.org
– Make sure you select Coast to Coast
– A $500 deposit is required, you can request reimbursement for this via our scholarship program.
– Participants will be required to participate in 10 session orientation program organized by the Jewish Federation – details to follow. The program begins in January and has met on Tuesday evenings in the past.
- If you would like to apply for subsidy (up to 100%) for this mission please fill out the Scholarship form and return it to Rabbi Moskovitz by November 16, 2015.
If you have any questions about the trip please contact Dafna Silberstein at the Jewish Federation DSilberstein@jewishvancouver.com or 604.257.5190
If you have questions about scholarships please contact Rabbi Moskovitz directly.
COAST TO COAST MARCH OF THE LIVING 2016 – Important information
In POLAND, the March of the Living takes place on Holocaust Remembrance Day, when thousands of students march together the 3-kilometer distance separating Auschwitz from Birkenau.
In ISRAEL, participants will celebrate the 68th anniversary of Israel on Independence Day together with young people from Israel and other parts of the world.
DATES: May 1- 16, 2016 (subject to changes)
AGES: Grades 10, 11 and 12
PROGRAM FEES: $5,895 USD
The Jewish Federation of Greater Vancouver is giving a grant of $2,000 CAD to each participant to help towards reducing the cost of the March. Additional scholarships are also available from the Jewish Federation of Greater Vancouver @ www.jewishvancouver.com
REGISTRATION OPENS: September 24, 2015
REGISTRATION CLOSES: October 23, 2015. To register please log in online @ www.marchoftheliving.org
EDUCATION: Starting January, the participants will attend 10 weekly educational sessions leading up to the March.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1. When is the application due?
The application, in full, must be submitted online by Friday October 23, 2015, including Online Application, deposit, forms and documents.
2. Are there subsidies available?
The Jewish Federation of Greater Vancouver allocates a $2,000 CAD grant for each participant. Additional subsidies are available from the Jewish Federation. Application forms can be downloaded from the Federation website. www.jewishvancouver.com
3. What if I don’t have a passport?
You may write N/A (not available) in the space provided, and then take all the necessary steps to obtain one as soon as possible. Your passport must be valid for a minimum of six months after the trip returns.
4. What if I never attended a Jewish School?
We review all applicants equally, and encourage students from a variety of educational backgrounds to participate.
5. Can we send more than one letter of recommendation?
Please follow the instructions, and send only one letter.
6. What if I don’t have a regular physician?
The clinic you usually frequent when you are sick should have your most update information. Please contact them.
7. To whom should I address the cheque for the deposit?
Jewish Federation of Greater Vancouver. Please write the participants’ name in the memo line.
8. Can I submit my application before the due date?
Yes. Please ensure all required documents and the deposit are mailed in as well.
9. How do I find out about interviews?
We will contact you to set up an interview, which will be conducted in mid-November.
10. When will I find out if I am accepted?
We will notify applicants of their acceptance shortly after the interview process.
All questions can be directed to: Dafna Silberstein at 604.257.5190 or DSilberstein@jewishvancouver.com