Temple Sholom is pleased to invite applications for the inaugural Tikkun Olam Youth Award. The award will be presented to a deserving Jewish Teen in the community at the Dreamers & Builders Gala on March 5, 2017 who has demonstrated a vision to heal the world through an act of Tikkun Olam.
A prize of $1,800 will be awarded, of which $600 must be used toward the recipient’s Tikkun Olam project and $1,200 goes directly to the recipient as an award for being an example to our community.
The 2017 submission deadline for applications is, Sunday, January 15, 2017 at midnight.
The winner will be notified on January 31, 2017.
To qualify, an applicant must:
1. Be a Jewish Teen between the ages of 13 to 19;
2. Have identified something in the community, in the country, or globally, that is in need of repair,
3. Must have commenced the project.
Potential areas of award might include, but are in no way limited to:
• Animals in need of rescue and special treatment
• Art / Music therapy
• Global warming
• Holocaust Remembrance
• Sustainable living
• Syrian Refugees
• World peace…
And anything in between; the sky really is the limit.
The applicant should answer the following questions:
1) What problem did you observe that needed fixing or healing?
2) What steps have you taken toward your goal?
3) What is your vision for the next steps to be taken?
4) How will the community it is intended for benefit?
5) Why are you passionate about this?
6) How does the initiative connect to Jewish values?
7) Who might the applicant try to involve to see the dream to fruition?
Applications may be submitted via online form, video or multi-media presentation of your choice no longer than 5 minutes. Submit your application below.
Applications must be received by 4:00pm on Friday, January 13, 2017.
The recipient will be selected by the Tikkun Olam Youth Award Committee once all applications have been received. The successful candidate will be notified by Tikkun Olam Youth Award Committee on January 31, 2017.
The recipient and parents will be guests at the Temple Sholom Dreamers & Builders Gala to be held on Sunday, March 5, 2017 and the award will be presented at that time.